The other day I was looking for ideas for new posts and I was thinking “why did I start this blog in the first place?” I was looking for new products to review but then something hit me:
a) There are THOUSAND of channels/blogs who do that.
b) DO I REALLY NEED ANOTHER WARM TONED PALETTE that is absolutely identical to many others already on the market?
My answer was: yes, I love make up and I love to try new things!
But then I started thinking more about this idea and I’ve realised that no matter how many things I want when they first come out, I tend to splurge always on the same things so today I thought I would tell you which are the things I THINK ARE WORTH THE SPLURGE, THOSE THAT AREN’T AND WHY: obviously this is just my opinion based on my personal preferences and needs.
If you like this series I might ask my sisters to join me and they can tell you their opinion since we all have different make up tastes.
Let me know where you like to save, where you like to splurge and why. I love hearing from you!
I am not here to tell you how you should spend your money but I can tell you why I think you can save on some products.
- Blush/Bronzer: For both of these there isn’t that big of a difference between each shade, once they are blended they’ll look pretty similar. You can get a PALETTE (like those that come out during the Holidays and get more shades for a better price): I know the pans are a bit smaller but realistically I won’t run out of a blush shade and if I do, I’ll be more than happy to buy it in a full size.
- Concealer/Mascara/Eyebrows/Lip Liner: Think about your needs, for example, I don’t really have dark circles, so I don’t see the point of investing in an expensive concealer when I can find something that works for a cheaper price tag. This is totally personal though, overall expensive doesn’t mean better quality.
- Powder: Powder is such a boring product in my opinion and I don’t get excited to buy it but I’m a make up lover so if I had the money I’d invest in a pricey one only for the packaging, it’s not a priority for me (since I’m mostly broke I use drugstore) but there’s something about touching up your t-zone in a fancy mirror!
I personally think that there are a few products that you just have to spend a little more on to get the best results or for my personal needs I feel like they deserve the purchase.
- Primers: I have really oily face and eyelids so I rather spend a little more on my eye and face primers otherwise my make up won’t last at all. Also having acne, I feel like if I use a better quality primer I can get some skincare benefits that might help me treat it.
- Foundation: To be honest I use both drugstore and high end foundation because I’m really picky with what I look for: I like light to medium coverage and a matt finish: usually those things don’t go together so whenever I find something that works I tend to stick to them, I don’t mind the price.
- Eyeshadow: I NEVER use drugstore eyeshadows because when I do, I don’t like my make up. Even when I was younger and I had to live with 10€ pocket money I always saved to buy MAC and Urban Decay’s shadows because not only they were more pigmented and buttery but because I found that the reflex and the intensity that those powders have rarely are in the drugstore version. It’s different with cream shadows: the drugstore kills in that job.
- Eyeliner: I always use eyeliner pens, more specifically I always use either the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner or the Stila Stay All Day one, because they last a really long time, they are easy to use and they are very black. All these things you can find in drugstore ones as well: what seals the deal for me is that those two DON’T DRY OUT IN A MONTH (like essence’s, NYX’s and other drugstore brands do) so in the long run they compensate the investment. I have a totally different opinion on Gel Liners and Eye Pencils: there are some amazing products from the drugstore, you don’t have to spend for them.
- Highlighter: I won’t say drugstore highlighters are bad but I found that they tend to be more chalky and glittery where some more pricey ones have that natural healthy glow we all love.
Lipsticks & Lip Gloss
I want to make a specific category for them because they are my weakness, I love lipstick in every way, shape, form and obviously price. I never feel guilty if I buy a lipstick, I never think rationally around them so I’m not the most qualified to give tips.
If I like the colour, the formula or the packaging (or at least two of these) I’ll buy it!
↑ Not so rare photos of Mimi looking at her true love! ↑
I think I want to finish with a summary of all the tips:
- Palettes are always a better deal: save to buy one of those during the holidays.
- Think about what your needs are: do you have really bad dark circles? Invest in a good concealer! You have really sparse brows? Maybe a good pomade is a way to go and so on.
- High end and quality don’t mean the same thing: there are pretty good gems at the drugstore.
- Think about the benefit you might get: foundation with skincare property, for example.
- And lastly, think about what makes you HAPPY! This is the most important one if having a hundred lipsticks brings you joy or having a highlighter with the gorgeous packaging makes you feel like a princess when you use it: go for it, you won’t regret it!
I really hope you guys enjoyed it, don’t forget to like, comment and share to let me know all your thoughts and if you have any question.
You can also find me on